6.12.2013

Good Food, Good Time

I love food. I workout to eat more. And I love eating as healthy as possible. It just tastes better and you feel better. Now, my most recently cooked meal was not the healthiest I've ever cooked by any means, but as a Chinese food substitute, it is way healthier than Hong Kong Inn. Not only was the food awesome though, but who I shared it with was even better. It was Taylor's last night in town for a week. Then he's back for one week and then gone again for 7. I hate distance. I suck at distance. But this is something I'm willing to fight for and give my fears to Jesus about. I mean, this could be an incredible opportunity for Taylor and I to truly rest in the presence and comfort of Christ alone.

Now for this food. It was a sort of quick decision to make a meal at home than to go out for our last little evening together. I love to cook and he loves to help so it only made sense to us to do it this way. Plus, everytime we cook it is always so good. We came up with the idea to make our own Chinese (and of course I had to add in vegetables!). I found a version of sweet & sour chicken online and we went to town on it. I got the recipe from Made It, Ate It, Loved It, but here it is!

CHICKEN:
3-5 chicken breasts (we used 6-7 tenderloins cause it's what we had and it still tasted great!)
salt and pepper (or anything else)
cornstarch to coat
2 eggs, beaten
canola oil

Rinse chicken, trim fats, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Dip each piece into the cornstarch, then into the egg. Heat oil in a large skillet and place the chicken in the skillet (duh!). Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Finish cooking your chicken until browned. Then place the chicken in a baking dish and coat with the sauce.....

SAUCE:
3/4 cup sugar (we used white but I've heard brown works too)
4 tablespoons ketchup
1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic salt (or more if you're me!)

Whisk everything until smooth. Pour evenly over the chicken in the baking dish. Turn chicken to coat and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. Stir it half way through!!

Finally, eat it up!!

We enjoyed the chicken with brown rice and sauteed vegetables (zuchinni, mushrooms, onions, and green pepper) on the porch that evening. It was perfect with my green tea. It was perfect outside. It was perfect with him.
Afterwards we enjoyed a walk around downtown and one of our infamous trips to Walmart. Even Walmart shopping is fun with Taylor. Oh, and we got shaved ice. Because we get shaved ice just about every time we are together. It's just too good.

More later. Maybe tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment